CONTROL

Back in January when I was in my Writing clas, I was assigned to read this article out of a tabloid magazine. One of the articles was a movie review. Without even thinking what else was there was to read about something else I just happened to start reading this random article. The review was on the movie "Control". The review made the film sound awesome. It was about a post punk band from the late '70s from England called Joy Division. The summary I picked up from the article is about a messed up artist and his love for music, his wife, and his new girlfriend. Yet and the same time, the love of those things around him is what caused him to eventually kill himself at the age of 23. Ian Curtis, the lead singer and the main character, had an interesting life, the story is almost as if he was a Kurt Cobain story and started the trend. Who Knows. So when I read the article in January, I went to rent the movie and it wasn't even released in the states yet. Then last week I saw it randomly and I watched it. Good movie, black and white, slow, just as if it were straight from the '70s. Looking at the comparison to Sam Riley, the one who played the role of Ian Curtis, this film was created to be almost exactly the way it actually took place.


++ Sam Riley playing the roll of Ian Curtis.


++ His girlfriend that he was dating while still married to his wife.

After watching the movie, I did some more research on this interesting topic and found out that they were a band everyone really liked. Then, I find out that the Killers did a cover of one of their most famous songs, "Shadowplay" The killers did an awesome job, considering the fact that anything recorded now can sound better than anything recorded back in the day. So now you know. Post punk band from the late '70s called Joy Division is a group that inspired groups today such as the killers.


No comments: